Friday, June 15, 2012

Gentlemen: define "COOL", please!


It´s impossible not to return to the subject of MEN when you´re a foreigner Oriental Dancer working and living in Egypt. I confess...it´s getting boring. Not funny anymore, REALLY. That old mentality of egyptian/arab men who presume you will run and throw yourself at their feet just by showing off their "supposed" charm, beauty (?!), the greater intelligence of all and - the GOLDEN ticket here! - money or career opportunities. 
It´s also an old subject: lots of hilarious stories about imaginary relationships I should have with my bosses and other influential men in the business (men whom I never met or hardly speak with, in reality).
Some of the dancers who focus on that imaginary sexual life of mine are ACTUALLY SLEEPING around with their own bosses and that is why, most probably, they believe with all their might I do the same.
Cold reality is less interesting than these lies. I have a tendency to sleep with MEN I choose simply because I FALL IN LOVE WITH THEM. "Haram", so it seems. Society does not accept it and all TRUE PASSION and DEEP LOVE seem to be aberrations of nature until you sign a paper that says you´re somebody´s wife. I know,  know...a woman who chooses to freely relate with men she loves is a hooker by all your means but I really don´t care about your false morals and double standards, hypocrisy and stupidity. 
I am a LOVER, not a smart ass prostitute who will sell her body for "the sake of her career". 
 Remember? That old devil called love...(quoting Billie Holiday here...)?
Yeah, I´m that* kind of girl. None of my men were connected with the Oriental Dance field and most of them were totally against my career so I never had any professional benefit from my personal relationships. 
Call me old fashioned but sleeping with a man I don´t absolutely LOVE is a deal breaker for me. 
I should not be surprised then when I find myself on another meeting - another one! Uff...- for work and the disaster developed as it follows.
Old guy, a BIG SHOT of the Oriental Dance circuit  in Cairo, self-confident with his own mustache and obvious ability to make me fall asleep with just a few words.
He tried to be what most men around here should NEVER try to be: COOL. 
Hard working, maybe CHECK.
Ambitious, maybe CHECK.
Funny without wanting to be, CHECK.
Boring,double CHECK.
Arrogant, CHECK.
Self-assured of his own protuberant belly, CHECK.
Cool, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
-I want a "gapachino" (he meant "cappucino"). - He told the waiter without looking at his face or saying the also under rated but precious "please". 

-Me too...one CAPPUCINO, PLEASE. - I added, smiling at the waiter, visibly happy with my delicate manners, directly contrasting with the cave man that was in front of me.
-You´re so damn beautiful, did you know that? - He launched himself into disaster without preliminaries.

-Ah, yes. Thanks. Tell me about the work, please. - I answered, forgetting I am in Egypt and nothing is so direct like I wish it would be.
-Ah! Work, work, work...it can wait. Now I am enjoying your beauty, you...princess... - And this was thrown at me with a wink "Marlon Brando in his decadence years" style and a small grin that I could listen inside my stomach, automatically sick. 
You can imagine the rest of the conversation which was not long because I invented another compromise I had forgotten and, suddenly, had to run to. He made me promise I would answer his phone calls. Yes, yes, sure. I ran away as fast as I could, thinking to myself (one more time!): Who does this asshole thinks he is? I see a donkey, he sees the biggest beauty in the world every time he sees his reflection on a mirror. 
Dear gentlemen...define COOL and don´t ever underestimate a woman´s intelligence, integrity, character. Not every one will sell herself for a helping hand, a job or money. Believe me, some WOMEN have no price tag attached to them. I am one of them. My own blessing and curse.
Now LOOK at yourself in the image bellow and feel how I feel every time I meet one of you for work and you end up killing me to death with your boring seduction attempts. 
Enjoy the self portrait and let me know: Are you COOL or what?!

(See image bellow:)

No comments: