Thursday, June 14, 2012

Education of the heart.

It was with great joy that me and Mahmoud Reda - Father of the Egyptian Folklore - found these photos today, hidden between many others in his computer.
Here I am in a "fellaha" and "muashahat" version of myself, posing for one of Mahmoud´s instructional videos.
It is never too much to say how much I respect and love my dear friend and teacher with whom I learnt much more than egyptian folklore. 
Although I didn´t follow the "Reda style" as all other assistants from Mahmoud did, I owe a LOT to it. As an Artist, I have my own voice (therefore cannot and would not want to reproduce the style of Mahmoud Reda but take bases and vocabulary from it and transform it into my own language) but Mahmoud is always present. As a student or audience, you may not notice it , yet a great deal of what I learnt - and keep learning - from Mahmoud is  underneath ALL that I do.



I call it education of the heart because it has been so. A mix of friendship, tenderness towards a kind of patient, loving grandfather who so generously taught me all he knows.
Here are some "vintage" looking photos. With Love, to Mahmoud. Today and always!***

No comments: